If you choose to tackle tree removal on your own, it’s important to have the right tools for the job. Unfortunately, many homeowners use the wrong ones and wind up being seriously injured or causing damage to their home. In this blog post, we will go over some of the essentials when it comes to cutting down your tree.
- Axes – This guide from Angie’s List reaffirms the importance of axes, one of the oldest and most trusted tools for tree removal. Thanks to their small handle, axes are easy to grip and handle. Keep in mind that double-sided axes are ideal for cutting down trees, while pickaxes can be used to pry tree roots from the soil. If you rarely use your current axe, it might be a good idea to sharpen it with a long mill file.
- Crosscut saws – These saws require two people since each end has a handle. It’s best practice for each person to stand on one side of the tree and hold it at a 45-degree angle prior to sawing. Be aware that crosscut saws come in a variety of lengths, so remember to choose the length that best matches with the tree diameter you will be removing.
- Chainsaws – Not surprisingly, chainsaws are one of the most powerful devices in the tree removal process. Professional tree removal services recommend gas-powered chainsaws, while electric ones can be used for smaller tasks such as pruning trees and shrubbery. If you’ve ever used a chainsaw, you know that it can be extremely dangerous. Prior to cutting, be sure to read the operating instructions and wear the appropriate safety gear.
- Stump grinders – Once you’ve cut down the tree, the job isn’t quite complete. The final step in the process is removing the stump. These can be difficult to remove since tree roots run well beneath the soil. However, today’s stump grinders are up for the challenge. Consider that these pieces of equipment have rotating teeth than can quickly and easily dispose of a stump and its roots. When you look to purchase or rent a stump grinder, you’ll find several choices. A self-propelled grinder is meant to take on a small to medium-sized tree. On the other hand, there are also two-behind grinders for larger, more mature trees.
TREE REMOVAL WITH PRO TREE SERVICE
There’s no doubt that it’s a major project to have a tree removed from your yard. Whether the tree is old, damaged, or showing signs of decay, you want to come up with a solution as quickly as possible. The fact is that many homeowners attempt a DIY route with their tree removal needs. We understand that this can be a very physical task that carries a significant risk of damage to yourself, your home, or both. So with all the potential for danger, why do so many folks still carry on without a professional? Well, most are worried about the cost of having these services performed.
For nearly 30 years, Pro Tree has been the premier tree company in Chicago. Rest assured that we are committed to providing the best solutions at the lowest available price. We can take care of your tree care needs, from removing small bushes and stumps to handling large trees surrounded by hazards.
One of the main questions we receive on a regular basis is how to tell if tree removal is required. Here’s what to look for:
- Natural splitting/cracking at certain parts of the tree
- Wind gusts or lightning strikes from previous storms
- Encroachment on adjacent properties or public use spaces
- Aging, bug infestation, or disease
Our tree company knows that the decision to have your tree removed is an investment. That’s why we cover all the bases during the process, including the following:
- Removal of all branches, logs, and major debris (stump remains can be removed for an additional charge)
- Full-service bush removal, including stump removal
- Full-service stump removal and stump grinding (this usually takes place several inches below the ground and a few feet from the base of the tree.
Fully licensed, bonded, and insured, our tree service experts take the hassle out of tree removal. Why put yourself in danger when you can just call an experienced tree care company? From tree removal and land clearing, we do it all.
Call Pro Tree today to request your free estimate.